|2 years (120 ECTS)
|Kraad / diplom / tunnistus
|MA (Master of Arts)
|3 800 € aastas
Tuition fee: 3000 euros per year (for citizens of EU, UK, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein; Turkey, Georgia, Ukraine, Moldova, and Switzerland)
Tuition fee: 3800 euros per year (for non-EU citizens)
|60 € one-time
Application fee is non-refundable.
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
NB! Students graduating in the summer of 2024 who are unable to submit their educational documents (diploma and transcript of records) before the deadline are required to submit their latest transcript of records containing their current grades, and a written confirmation (email, certificate etc) from their educational institution stating that educational documents will be issued to graduates no lather than at the end of June 2024.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: inglise / eesti.
Upload the educational documents digitally to the application.
– Bachelor’s degree certificate or equivalent, and its translation into Estonian or English (both the copy and translation have to be attested). NB! Translations are only requested if documents are not in English or Estonian. Both the copies of documents in their original language and translations have to be attested.
– Transcript of records, and its translation into Estonian or English (both the copy and translation have to be attested). NB! Translations are only requested if documents are not in English or Estonian. Both the copies of documents in their original language and translations have to be attested.
Detailed information about suitable qualifications and required documents can be found on the following links:
Please note that only accepted applicants will be required to send physical copies of their educational documents by post to EKA (by post or courier services, like DHL, FedEx etc). More specific instructions will be provided to each applicant individually, so please do not send any documents by post unless you have been asked to do so.
NB! We do not accept original documents, self-attested copies, photocopies or printouts!
EKA accepts the following international language tests as proof of English language proficiency. Here are the minimum requirements set by EKA:
– TOEFL ITP: min 543
State exams in English taken in Estonia, Finland or Latvia:
Upload the certificate digitally to the application.
NB! We accept language certificates for up to two years after they are issued.
WAIVING ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
English proficiency test may only be waived if the applicant meets one of the following requirements:
– The applicant has completed their secondary education, bachelor’s or master’s degree taught fully in English in one of the following countries: EU/EEA member states, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or United Kingdom. The applicant must have resided in the mentioned country while doing their studies. Please also note that the transcript of records must include that studies were conducted fully in English.
– The applicant has studied for at least one academic year as a full-time student (obtaining a minimum of 45 ECTS with positive results) in English in an institution of higher education in one of the following countries: EU/EEA member states, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or United Kingdom.
NB! We will only accept certificates issued by educational institutions if the waiver criteria is met.
Avaldusele tuleb lisada motivatsioonikiri.
Portfoolio on nõutav.
Portfolio as PDF, some previously animated films or clips can be added as separate files or as an online working link (password included if necessary). The applicant should choose up to 5 best films/clips and mention the choice in the PDF.
NB! If the portfolio is bigger than DreamApply application settings accept (or if there is any other problem), please add your work to Google Drive and share the link to your portfolio (make sure that the shared folder is accessible to the committee).
• copy of your bachelor’s degree certificate or equivalent
• copy of your transcript of records
• English language proficiency certificate
• copy of the data page of your passport or ID-card
• motivational letter
• master’s thesis project or vision
Applicants are evaluated on the basis of their CV, motivational letter, master thesis project/vision and portfolio.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview on March 26, 2024.
NB! The exact interview time for each candidate will be announced to him/her via DreamApply a few days ahead.
More information www.artun.ee/en/curricula/animation/admissions/
The Department of Animation was established at the Estonian Academy of Arts in 2006 and since 2007 it has offered a two-year MA in Animation (taught in English). The main goal of the programme is to successfully educate creators of animated films, providing them with theoretical knowledge and practical skills. The further aim is to contribute to the global development of animation as an art form.
Animation is a thriving medium and developing at a greater pace than ever before. It has become part of mass culture, as well as one of its principal forms. Animation can be seen in digital screen graphics, computer games, music videos, films, etc. The basis for any film – including animated film – is the story. The greatest problem in the film world is the lack of good stories. In most of the world’s animation schools, students are not taught the art of good story writing. This is something that sets our programme apart. We place an emphasis on the story and teach Professor Pärn’s unique methodology for creating film scripts.
Upon completion of the MA in Animation programme, students have acquired in-depth theoretical and practical animation skills. The students can specialise in specific animation techniques and create individual projects in the appropriate technique. After graduation, the students are qualified to realise themselves as animated film creators, professionals in creative industries or teachers in their field. Students who have completed the Master’s programme are also qualified to continue their studies and pursue a doctoral degree.
Additional information: www.artun.ee/en/admissions/masters/admissions/
“The classes were amazing. I learned how to tell stories, how to analyse films (not only animation), write scripts. I was fascinated by the teachers. They were professionals, not pedagogues. The programme made me an animation film director. My life has been tied to animation ever since. I also gained a huge circle of contacts, wonderful people I met during the course and after. I always tell people they should study animation in the Master’s programme at EAA if they want to be animation directors.”
MA Animation ‘10
Co-founder of WIRED FLY
Lectures, seminars, intensive modules and projects are intertwined in the two-year MA. Essay writing, script writing, animating, directing, editing, sound engineering and research are core activities to be learnt and practiced throughout the courses, leading to a final diploma-film project.